Monday, September 22, 2014

I don't get the pretzel bun

So on a whim, and mostly because my mother had a coupon, we decided, that it would be nice to go to Ruby Tuesday for lunch. Honestly, it's not really because we think Ruby Tuesday is great or anything, more that it was just in a convenient location and everything. I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize it, but honestly if it were another store (i.e. TGIF or Chili's) and my mom had a coupon, we'd probably go there as well. That being said, they have a relatively comprehensive burger selection on the menu so I decided to give it a go.

Interestingly enough they had a whole section dedicated to pretzel bun burgers, which I suppose is a thing around here. I guess the premise is that you have the texture and the density of a pretzel with something like a burger in the middle. I kind of get it but not really, it honestly doesn't work to hold the burger very well, and it doesn't add a whole lot to the burger itself, in my opinion.

So I opted for the Spicy Jalapeno Cheeseburger which boasted fried jalapenos, a chipotle mayo, pepperjack cheese, I think bacon, and the normal par for course of lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. The jalapenos were cut into strips and fried in some sort of chili-powder based batter which I suppose was supposed to make them something akin to spicy onion straws, honestly speaking spicy onion straws would have likely had the same if not better effect. The preparation of the jalapenos basically extracted the ribs, the seeds, and essentially the flavor from the peppers, and thus the chili-powder based batter sort of masked everything, from the peppers to the chipotle mayo. The burger itself was fairly well prepared, and the pepperjack is always a nice touch, but the chili-powder was a little overpowering.

The fries had a nice sort of unseasoned, fresh-cut sort of taste to them, which was nice. As it usually is with these places the burgers typically are a safe bet, but they're typically not very extraordinary either. So I guess, if you have a coupon and it's convenient, you could do worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment