Tuesday, October 7, 2014

"Insert something witty about rebirth and heat"

So, last time I was in San Mateo I was told there are two burger places I had to try. Last time I tried one of them. This time I tried the other. Apparently Godfather's draws a lot of comparisons to Jack's Prime when it comes to the age old debate of "greatest burger in San Mateo". I know all of you are riveted by that topic of conversation. Since last time I had Godfather's, my friend decided this time I needed to try Jack's Prime. He indicated that it was perhaps in a more accessible location, and was bigger overall so he went there more often. I, however, being a self-proclaimed burger snob, must then go by the actual burgers themselves, no matter the convenience.

So the burger I got was called the Phoenix from the Flames. An impressive name, for what I had hoped would be an impressive burger. Maybe I got the wrong thing, I'll always be the first to admit that. I was slightly disappointed. Well, more than slightly. It was unfortunate.

So the burger itself was very juicy and well-crafted. Most of the ingredients were quite fresh, though the lettuce did look like it was out for a little while, but it was a late lunch, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Unfortunately, very similar to another experience I had in Seattle, the peppers weren't really that hot. A lot of the ribs and seeds were removed and so there wasn't really any heat in the burger, which just made it taste like, well meat and peppers. It wasn't that it was bad, but it wasn't really memorable. As for the chipotle mayo, I didn't mind it, but it was sort of globbed on, and so you only tasted in parts where there was more of it. Unfortunately, while I didn't dislike the burger, it didn't leave really much of an impression for me. Certainly, I do not begrudge it its convenience, but I don't think it's significantly better than a well-established chain, certainly, not really something I'd go out of my way for. Of course, I reserve the right to have my mind changed about this place. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing.

I liked the option to replace fries with onion rings or sweet potato fries, albeit at a premium. The onion rings were good, except that they generally serve you by the volume of the plate, which means if you got some bigger rings, you got fewer rings. While I enjoyed them, I may stick with fries next time. I snuck a bite of one of my friend's sweet potato fries, it was quite good, though I'm not sure there was enough flavor in the dipping sauce for my liking, mainly on the onion ring front.

No comments:

Post a Comment