Sunday, July 25, 2010

A posh place for a posh crowd...


Diablo Burger
Originally uploaded by jaceman4
I had the opportunity to go to South Lake Bar and Grill simply because the brother of one of my good friends is now a part owner of the establishment. To be frank, I probably would otherwise not even have known this place existed. Now some of you might wonder how being a close friend to the younger brother of the owner might skew my opinion of the place, but I will try my best to be as objective as possible in regards to the burger.

Now the Diablo Burger is noted to be a peppered patty, served with avocado, and the typical other fixings. I have to say, my patty was very well peppered. The cayenne was at times rather overpowering, and therefore, it was hard to really taste a lot of the other stuff (say, the cheese, and even the beef at times). Nonetheless, the beef quality was fairly good, the patty was hearty and juicy, though it's hard to conceive that a half-pound patty cooks to be so small nowadays, but I guess it does. I like the fixings, lettuce and tomatoes and stuff were fresh. My only qualm was the presentation, the avocado quartered and cut width wise may look cool, but it creates globs of avocado in the center of the burger and doesn't evenly distribute the avocado flavor and texture evenly throughout the burger as traditional length-wise slices do. The shape also does make it pretty difficult to put the burger together as a whole. The bun was more doughy like a dinner roll than airy like a typical bun, which was an interesting twist, but it neither added to nor subtracted from the burger. Finally, I think they had something of a house sauce for the condiment, but frankly, the pepper flavor was so overpowering that I frankly wouldn't have known it was there save that I saw it.

They did have sweet potato fries, I don't know if those are included in the bottomless option thingy, but if they are, sweet.

Rating of the Burger:
Meat: B-
Bun: B
Fixings: C+
Condiments: C-
Sides: A
Price: $12-$17
Overall Rating: C+
Recommended Burger: Western Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment