Monday, October 18, 2010

Catching the bus...


The Burger from The Skillet
Originally uploaded by jaceman4
Sort of... it's more a truck I suppose than a bus, or if I want to be technical, a streamline trailer pulled by a nondescript white van. I had heard things about The Skillet, good things. So when they came by my work, I couldn't pass up the chance to go and try it out.

The beef is grass-fed, I don't know if that's the difference maker, but it was a well made patty. The char from the grill gave it nice texture. The bun, wasn't really a bun, but rather half a baguette. It was an interesting take, made eating the burger a rather unique experience. I can't really decide whether or not I really liked it, personally, I'm going to lean towards it being interesting, but not something I'd personally ever do. Though it did work for the burger, sort of. The fixings were nice, I do like the arugula, the cambozola was a nice compliment to everything. I'm not a fan of bleu cheese type of cheese, and cambozola was along the lines of those pungent types, but there wasn't too much of it so as to overwhelm the burger, just enough to compliment everything. The condiment was what The Skillet was known for; bacon jam. It's an interesting concept, as the jam texture innately leads you to think kind of sweet, but the bacon flavor is subtle enough to make it kind of savory. Another good compliment.

The fries were hand cut and herb-seasoned, two pluses. It was a little over salted for my taste, but overall they were good. I could've gotten the poutine, but that might've been messy walking back to work and all that. It's an experience, a little overpriced for my taste, so it's not really super worth chasing to me, but if it's in the neighborhood it's worth trying just to say you did.

Rating of the Burger:
Meat: A
Bun: C+
Fixings: A
Condiments: B
Sides: B-
Price: $11-$15
Overall Rating: B
Recommended Burger: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment