Sunday, March 7, 2010

Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, with burgers


So, I had actually been intending to try this place down in Palo Alto, needless to say, I was fairly surprised when I heard that there was one in Ballard. It's seemed a little out of the way as we wandered around in the dark driving towards the warehouse district by the water. I had heard good things about The Counter and how they were known for their ultra-customizable burgers, so needless to say, I was very much looking forward to it. I was honestly expecting more of a kind of fast-food joint, well, not fast-food in the conventional sense, but something like the local places I'd find around here, like Red Mill or something. So, I was a little surprised to see that it's something of a sit-down affair. I'm not one to talk much about ambiance, but I was struck at how it's kind of like an old '60s diner meets modern Japanese sushi club/joint, it's hard to describe, you kind of just have to experience it.


Anyways, we're here about the burger. If I were to describe the burger in one word, it would be: beef. Seriously, it is a beefy burger. My friend mentioned that they use a Oregon-raised beef, which I suppose is supposed to be of high quality, and it was. That was some good beef. Now, with that said, this isn't a burger for the faint of heart, it's hearty and honestly, I think those intimidated by a large quantity of meat in one sitting might find it a little overwhelming. The beef wasn't really seasoned in any special way, but the quality of the meat really is at a level where it's not really necessary. What is so outstanding about The Counter's burgers is simply this: the weight of the burger on the menu are POST-cooking. Yes, the burgers weight either 1/3 lbs, 2/3 lbs, or 1 lb AFTER they've been cooked. That means it's MORE beef than that before it's actually cooked. That's beefy.

In terms of the fixings, I'm a little peeved that you only get to pick four and that lettuce, tomatoes, and onions each count as one "topping", but that aside, everything is really fresh. They also have a really good selection of stuff to choose from. It's hard for me to really say a whole lot more about it, as the experience of each individual burger will not be lacking because of the quality of the ingredients. My main caveat with eating at a place like this is that you really need to have a pretty clear idea of what exactly you're looking for in terms of a burger, otherwise, you kind of just mix everything together and get a mess. If you go over the prescribed number of toppings and stuff, they do charge extra, and certain premium ingredients cost extra as well. They do have some pre-constructed burgers on the menu as well, but honestly, half the fun is in making your own burger.

There's also a good selection of condiments and the same kind of caveat applies as it does with the fixings, though you are limited to one condiment, not including ketchup, so I recommend trying something a little different. Most of the stuff there is sort a specialty kind of condiment anyway, it's served on the side, so you get to ration the flavor as you choose. In terms of the bun, it gets a little messy at 2/3 lbs, but the 1/3 lb burger seems relatively manageable. The bun is toasted well, but aside from that it's not really anything brag about. They do also offer options of English Muffin and a "Market Selection" specialty bun (when I went it was an artisan bun) but honestly, I personally would consider the normal hamburger bun to be the best option of those choices.


I know that I normally just talk about the burgers, but I do rate the sides as a component of the overall burger experience. I was a little disappointed in the fries and onion strings, and they actually don't come with the burger, they need to be ordered separately, making it a little more on the pricier side. Well, pricier in my book for burgers. The quality of the product wasn't bad, but it wasn't outstanding either. That being said, I regret not getting the sweet fries.


Rating of the Burger:
Meat: A+
Bun: B-
Fixings: A-
Condiments: A+
Sides: B-
Price: $8-$15
Overall Grade: A-
Recommended Burger: I really can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment