Monday, October 3, 2011

The grace of simplicity

Canadian Bacon Cheeseburger by jaceman4
Canadian Bacon Cheeseburger, a photo by jaceman4 on Flickr.
I had this burger in the town in the middle of southern Minnesota called Wells. Literally, there was no place that I could check-in on Yelp for like 30 miles. This is probably one of the two dining establishments within that distance as well, the other being a Dairy Queen a couple blocks the other way. That being said, you figure I'd go for pizza at a place called Jake's Pizza, but I noticed that enough of their stuff used hamburger steaks to figure that their burgers should be pretty good too. I oped for the Canadian Bacon Cheeseburger variety (as opposed to the American bacon kind) which essentially was a ham and Swiss sandwich with a burger patty underneath. That's pretty sweet.

The patty itself was juicy and well cooked, gave a full meaty flavor, which was something of a surprise for this type of a joint, but when you think about it, it's just good old fashioned home cooking. The bun was your run of the mill bun. The ketchup and mustard I added myself, the pickles were pretty normal pickles, the Swiss was nice and melty under the three slices of grilled Canadian bacon. All in all, good times. The bacon wasn't too stringy, and everything had a very full, hearty, natural flavor to it.

The fries were your run-of-the-mill frozen kringle cut fries, which, when deep fried are very good. I did have to salt and pepper them myself, but it's hard to go wrong with kringle cut. I would never say that anyone would have to go all the way out to Wells, MN just to try a burger at this pizza joint, but I must say it was a good burger. I know it's not saying much since there are only like two places to eat around the area, but it is a pretty dang good place to stop and eat if you're there. Well done Jake, well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment